Ben’s practice includes representing and advising local governments and municipalities, regarding general governance, civil rights, contracts, land use and zoning. Ben advises real estate developers, business entities, and individuals, regarding land use, zoning and appearances before government boards. Additionally, Ben counsels individuals, entities, and local governments on condemnation, eminent domain, takings claims, and coastal issues including public trust rights, beach access and beach nourishment. Ben also has substantial experience in civil litigation and appellate matters in both state and federal courts on behalf of local government and private clients. Since 2008, Ben has served as the Town Attorney for the Town of Southern Shores and the Town of Hertford, and from 2008 to 2019 he served as the Attorney to the Currituck County Board of Adjustment.
- Honors & Distinctions
- Bar & Affiliations
- Personal & Community
- Appellate Opinions & Decisions
- Campbell University (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
- Order of Old Kivett
- Campbell Law Review, Comments Editor
- North Carolina State University (B.S., 2000)
Honors & Distinctions
- NCDRC Certified Superior Court Mediator
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2010)
Bar & Affiliations
- North Carolina State Bar
- Ethics Committee, Advisory Member (2012- )
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Privacy and Data Security Committee (2018- )
- Technology Committee (Former Chair) (2006-17)
- Nominations Committee (2014-15)
- Legal Education Reform/Unmet Legal Needs Committee (2014-15)
- Leadership Academy (2011, inaugural class)
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use Section
- Government & Public Sector Section
- Litigation Section
- First Judicial District Bar (President)
- Dare County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
Personal & Community
- Mount Olivet United Methodist Church
- Manteo Rotary Club (Former President)
- Outer Banks Family YMCA Branch Advisory Board
- Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors (2010-13)
Appellate Opinions & Decisions
- Town of Nags Head v. Richardson, ___ N.C. App. ___, 817 S.E.2d 874 (2018).
- Osborne v. Town of Nags Head, 235 N.C. App. 121, 760 S.E.2d 766, 767 (2014).
- Osborne v. Town of Nags Head, 763 S.E.2d 338 (N.C. App. 2014) (unpublished).
- Sansotta v. Town of Nags Head, 97 F. Supp. 3d 713 (E.D. N.C. 2014).
- Sansotta v. Town of Nags Head, 724 F.3d 533 (4th Cir. 2013).
- Town of Nags Head v. Cherry, Inc., 219 N.C. App. 66, 723 S.E.2d 156 (2012).
- Fisher v. Town of Nags Head, 220 N.C. App. 478, 725 S.E.2d 99 (2012).
- Sansotta v. Town of Nags Head, 863 F. Supp. 2d 495 (E.D.N.C. 2012).
- Sansotta v. Town of Nags Head, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98884 (E.D.N.C. 2012) (unpublished) (Sansotta II).
- Kirkpatrick v. Town of Nags Head, 213 N.C. App. 132, 713 S.E.2d 151 (2011).
- Bluejack Enters., L.L.C. v. Town of Edenton, 2010 N.C. App. LEXIS 2307 (N.C. App. 2010) (unpublished).
- Joint Redevelopment Comm’n of Pasquotank v. Jackson-Heard, 2010 N.C. App. LEXIS 52 (N.C. App. 2010) (unpublished).
- Five C’S, Inc. v. County of Pasquotank, 195 N.C. App. 410 , 672 S.E.2d 737 (2009).
- Joint Redevelopment Comm’n of the Pasquotank v. Jackson-Heard, 2008 N.C. App. LEXIS 632 (N.C. App. 2008) (unpublished).
- Nags Head Constr. & Dev., Inc. v. Town of Nags Head, 2006 N.C. App. LEXIS 971 (N.C. App. 2006) (unpublished).